86 Palestinians died of electrocution in Burj AlBarajneh refugee camp in Beirut.
A Palestinian refugee died of electrocution in Burj AlBarajneh refugee camp, in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, Palestinian sources have reported.
Palestinian refugee Muhammad Nabil Asaad Okasha, 16, died as a result of electrocution. His death brings the number of victims of electricity-related problems in the camp to 86.
Since the Arab-Israeli conflict in 1948 – which resulted in many Palestinians being evicted from their land – UN agencies have registered 470,000 refugees in 12 camps across Lebanon.
The original refugee camp at Burj AlBarajneh was once a sea of canvas tents. Today it is a concrete labyrinth hiding Lebanon’s social outcasts, more than 20,000 Palestinian refugees, from view.
Suspended the length and breadth of its alleyways there is a web spun from electricity cables and water pipes. The result is deadly. Dozens of fatalities through electrocution have been recorded, many of which were children.