Image of Israeli forces demolishing homes in the West Bank to make way for Israeli settlements [File photo]
Israeli occupation forces handed on Sunday notices ordering the demolition of eight Palestinian homes in the village of Furush Beit Dajan, to the northeast of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.
Ghassan Daghlas, a local Palestinian activist, told WAFA news agency that the notices handed over by the Israeli occupation authorities target eight inhabited homes, one of them was built before the Israeli occupation of the West Bank in 1967, in addition to two irrigation ponds.
Azzam Hajj Ali, the mayor of the village, said that three more demolition notices had earlier been handed over to the village’s residents on Thursday.
At the same time, Israeli settlers embarked on bulldozing lands belonging to the Palestinian villages of Aqraba and Majdal Bani Fadel, to the southeast of Nablus.
So far this month, the Israeli occupation authorities demolished, confiscated, or forced people to demolish 54 structures in East Jerusalem and Area C of the West Bank, including 20 homes, citing the lack of Israeli-issued building permits, which are almost impossible to obtain, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in the occupied Palestinian territory.
As a result of the demolitions, 66 Palestinians, including 34 children, were displaced, and the livelihoods of more than 795 others were affected, it said in its Protection of Civilians report covering the period between 5 and 24 July.
According to the report, 80 percent of the affected structures (43) were in Area C. The remaining 11 structures were demolished in East Jerusalem, including nine residential structures, resulting in the displacement of five households, comprising 24 people, including 12 children. Eight out of the 11 structures demolished in East Jerusalem were destroyed by their owners to avoid the payment of fines to the Israeli authorities.