UK Bars Israeli Officials from Major Defence Expo amid Genocidal War on Gaza

UK Bars Israeli Officials from Major Defence Expo amid Genocidal War on Gaza

Palestinians walk past destroyed buildings in Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. (File photo: Reuters)

Israeli officials have been excluded from Britain’s largest defence exhibition as London steps up pressure on Tel Aviv over the ongoing war in Gaza.

The move means Israel’s Ministry of Defence will not host its usual national pavilion at the Defence & Security Equipment International (DSEI) show in London this September. However, Israeli firms including Elbit Systems, Rafael, Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Uvision will still be permitted to participate independently.

A UK government spokesperson said the decision reflected growing concerns over Israel’s military escalation in Gaza. “The Israeli government’s choice to intensify operations in Gaza is wrong,” the spokesperson said on Friday.

The restriction is the latest signal of a shifting stance under Prime Minister Keir Starmer. In July, his government warned it would recognise a Palestinian state if Israel failed to take steps to ease humanitarian suffering in the enclave — a position that angered Israeli leaders.

Britain’s move mirrors tensions seen at the Paris Air Show earlier this year, where French organisers walled off Israeli company stands after exhibitors refused to withdraw offensive weapons from display, triggering a diplomatic spat.

Israel’s ongoing assault has claimed more than 62,700 lives in Gaza since October 2023. The relentless military campaign has left the besieged enclave on the brink of famine.

Short Link : https://prc.org.uk/en/news/7514