Displaced Palestinians make their way from the south to the north of the Gaza Strip, on the Salah Al-Din road in Nusseirat refugee camp, central Gaza, January 29, 2025. (Photo: AFP)
The mass displacement of Palestinians from northeastern Gaza City began on Friday evening as Israeli forces escalated attacks from the north and south, bombarding entire neighborhoods, according to Anadolu.
A Palestinian security source told Anadolu that the situation in the city's eastern neighborhoods is deteriorating “at a rapidly accelerating pace” due to Israel's intensifying offensive.
The source said the Israeli army has increased demolitions in southern and northeastern Gaza City, using explosive-laden robots alongside artillery shelling and airstrikes.
Anadolu’s correspondent reported “mass displacement” of residents from the city’s northeastern districts toward western Gaza City or farther south in the enclave.
He also reported additional shelling in Gaza City's southern al-Sabra neighborhood.
Israel declared a "dangerous combat zone" on Friday and launched one of its most intense bombardments since the war began, striking by air, land, and sea, while nearly 1 million Palestinians are still trapped inside.
The offensive is part of an Israeli plan approved earlier this month to gradually reoccupy Gaza, beginning with the enclave's largest urban center, which houses roughly half of the population.
The UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) warned that the assault could force up to 1 million people to evacuate their homes again.
Israel has killed over 63,000 Palestinians in Gaza since October 2023. The military campaign has devastated the enclave, which is facing famine.